Wednesday, March 28, 2012

More Minneapolis 'Wonders'!- Final Trip Post

One of Nick Cave's fabulous Soundsuits...

 
...made from vintage toys and crocheted hot pads...

...at the Minneapolis Institute of Arts.

 
The MIA also has more 'traditional' fare...

 
...in their galleries of Ancient works, and collections from the Americas, Asia and Africa.



Here, at Open Book...

...a home for literary and book arts... 
 
...we drank excellent lattes, shopped for unique books and paper supplies...

...and saw a terrific performance of Shakespeare's "As You Like It"!

 
At the oldest collectively run business in town, Seward Cafe...

 
...the food was so good, we ate breakfast there...twice!

 
It had been over 30 years since I last visited the Minneapolis area...

...and I'm sure I won't wait as long for my next visit!!

My blog friend, Becky, and I thrilled to the wonderful art in the Minneapolis Institute of Arts...

...and feasted on "Surly Chocolate" cupcakes from the Salty Tart bakery!

My daughter and I saw a performance of "End of the Rainbow" at the Guthrie Theater...

...a heartbreaking 'play with music' about the last years of Judy Garland's life.

We also enjoyed a stellar version of "As You Like It" performed by Ten Thousand Things Theater...

...a group known for bringing "lively, intelligent theater to non-traditional audiences"...

...that regularly stages performances in prisons, shelters, nursing homes and drug treatment centers.

We also spent an hour or so digging through mountains of used clothing at the Goodwill Outlet store...

...where, for a mere $1.49 per pound, we acquired tops and jackets for my daughter to wear...

...and quite a few silk blouses for me to use in my felting!

Minneapolis is a beautiful, clean, vibrant, bike-friendly city...

...filled with stylish 'hipsters' and eclectic shops, bars and restaurants.

 I feel lucky to have had the opportunity to spend a little bit of time there!! :)

Posted by Picasa

7 comments:

Светлана said...

You have a good time, I'm happy for you! My daughter loves to dress in the style of the hippies.
Svetlana

Rachel said...

What a wonderful, and entertaining visit it must have been!

Heather Woollove said...

Svetlana--How old is your daughter?!? (I have four, you know!!) :)
Rachel--It was a blast! (Now, back to reality, though!)

Светлана said...

Heather, I only have two daughters. ))) Eldest daughter, 24 years old, the youngest 10 years. The eldest daughter does not live with me, her apartment is separate from me.

Heather Woollove said...

Svetlana--How nice that you have gotten to enjoy each of them like they are 'only' children!

Melissa Plank said...

I want the toy figure or just a bunch of toys like that. All those fun noise makers really bring back memories of my parents New Years Eve parties!

Heather Woollove said...

Melissa--Hahaha! Have you ever seen videos of Nick Cave dancing in his soundsuits? If not, you should...they are awesome!!!