Monday, August 2, 2010

A Tale of Two...Bookcovers

 

 


I'm breaking with tradition today...

...by showing you my 'after' photos before I show you the 'process' photos.

It's a gift to some of my regular readers (you know who you are!) giggle...

...who get a bit impatient with me, having to wait days for a 'reveal'.

Ever since I received the exquisite Uniquely Felt felting 'bible'...

...I've been wanting to try some seamless wet-felted bookcovers.

I tried one using the book's directions...

...but had trouble with the 'partial resist'.

My second one was made with a 'full resist', just like you might make a pillow...

...but then cutting out a section of felt after the piece was dried.

I prefer the second method...

...feeling like I have more control during the felting process...

...and liking the 'book spine coverage' a bit better.

The rest of the week will be process photos for each cover...

...plus some close-ups.

Believe it or not...

...embellishment (in the form of hand-embroidery and beads!) is actually involved!!!

Har.





Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

Kelly said...

First of all, I feel for ya, those impatient readers can be such a pain! ;)
Love the covers. I always end up shrinking my wool too much for my covers to fit my journals! I know I could do a test swatch, but jeeze that's no fun! The blue one is my favorite because it looks so summery and ocean like! :)

Heather Woollove said...

Oh, Kelly...you are one of my favorite readers!!!!!!!!!
I didn't do a test swatch, either, but I did fold a quick paper cover so I could check for size as I was felting.
They stretch a bit, too, so they're a bit more forgiving than you might think!

Lydia Karlheim said...

so pretty!!!!!!