Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Flat Felt Mini Purse

 

 

 

 

A dear, long-time friend visited recently...

...a warrior friend (we've been through a lot together over the years!)

It was wonderful to get to spend some time with her...

...and we even got to do some felting!

Since she had never felted before...

...I was gentle with her! Har.

We each made a piece of flat felt...

...with bits and bobs of different felted-in embellishments.

We dragged out my box of pencil-roving and dyed curly locks...

...sari silk, wool yarn, and carded flax.

I had some yellow batts at the ready...

...(extra ones from the yellow clutch project).

We folded them over with the seam meeting in the middle...

...so that the piece maintained its thickness throughout.

After felting, mine didn't look like much...

...but you know how it is with the magic of felt!

A little trimming with a rotary cutter, a seam up each side and some velcro...

...and 'presto chango', it's a purse!

I put velcro both inside the bag itself and on the flap...

...for extra security.

As is often the case with these spur of the moment projects of mine...

...I made it harder than it had to be.

Next time, I will remember to sew the velcro pieces on before I sew up the side seams...

...so I'm not struggling, awkwardly, with a tiny pocket and my sewing machine! :)


Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Mariana said...

lovely design with the pencil roving!