Tuesday, September 18, 2012

"My Life" Sculpture/Cowl- Part 1 of 3

Laying out seven layers of wool that feel pertinent to my life, in this moment...

 
...then incremental layers of wool, fiber and fabric that reflect both my youth and old age.

 
Wetting out the project...

 
...and turning it into a pre-felt.

 
After drying, hand-stitching it with strong, nylon thread...



...and making cuts into the partially felted wool. 


Synthetic threads, shown here, only partially felted in...

 
...and some areas were snipped to showcase inner color layers and inclusions.

 
The most ambitious project that I made in Marjolein Dallinga's class in August...

...was this large felt piece reflecting a timeline of my life.

We were encouraged to think about both now and about our past...and to imagine our future...

...and to lay out fabric and fiber that honored our memories and gave voice to our dreams.

This kind of introspection requires a lot of thought...

...and it was as fascinating to see some of my classmates' choices...

...(the sparkly black fabric of a hard-partying college phase!)...

...as it was to try to signify the fresh air of my bike-riding childhood...

...or the blush of my burgeoning womanhood.

Next time: the piece begins to take shape.

Posted by Picasa

6 comments:

Rachel said...

Goodness, that would involve more thinking than felting - but it sounds like fun!

Heather Woollove said...

Rachel--Thinking and feeling, too! You'd be surprised how quiet our class was while we were each trying to work out our 'lives'!! :)

Kelly said...

This looks VERY interesting! I cannot wait to see how this changes through the next few posts. I think I personally would have a hard time with a project like this. I feel myself becoming much more concrete in my thinking. I need to find a way to reverse that! Looking forward to your next installment ;)

Heather Woollove said...

Kelly--I think you'll really enjoy how it 'transmutes'!!! :)

FeltersJourney said...

A very reflective piece.. looking forward to seeing how it turns out (and as I am catching up, I can go find out right now :)
x

Heather Woollove said...

Deborah--You are awesome...reading them in order without peeking! :)