Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Hand-Painted Silk Tote Bag- Part 1 of 2

Laying out teal roving in a 'tote shape' (on a round resist)...

 
...then adding a layer of hand-painted silk gauze.



On the reverse side, adding hand-painted circles...

...cut from the corners of the silk square (above).

(I didn't want to waste even a scrap of this lovely silk!)
 
Here are the circles in close-up.

 
Covering side two with concentric rings of roving...

 
...and wetting it out.

 

The red dot helps me to know where to cut (important!).


 
Covering side one with mostly white roving...

...in order to showcase the painted silk design.

 
You may remember a messenger bag...

...that I made some time ago for my friend, Melissa.

Because it was a collaborative project...

...and she had designed and painted the silk herself...

...I never felt quite right, even with her permission...

...thinking of using the second (spare) piece of silk for anyone else but her.

So...I recently decided to make her a slightly different kind of bag with the left-over piece...

...and, since she's a master knitter/crocheter...

...a tote bag seemed 'just the thing'!! :)

You'll notice that I learned my lesson with the Mandala pillows...

...and I took special pains to place wool roving between the resist and the silk...

...around the edges of the tote, and those of the added silk circles.

Next time: the finished tote!

Posted by Picasa

14 comments:

Rachel said...

It's looking good - such delicate colours of silk, then the vibrant roving on side two...

FeltersJourney said...

ooo Heather I can't wait to see this one finished! LOVE the painted silk and your colours (especially the side with the radiating colour - yum)
x

Heather Woollove said...

Rachel--Thanks! It was fun to try to coordinate with Melissa's color scheme!
Deborah--I enjoyed making this one, too. :)

Little Miss Adventure said...

The blue circles make it look a bit like a hot sulphur pool at Mammoth Hot Springs!

Heather, can you email me your address please? I have a little something to send you :)

Heather Woollove said...

Oh, Rebecca--I wish I could state something as wonderful as that!! (Who knows whether I will ever see such a thing...so it's fun to hear how they really look from someone who has actually been there!!) XXO-

Terriea Kwong said...

Your works are always very delicate. Eager to see the finished look. Thanks for explanation of pencil roving. Got it now. Heather, I'm so delighted for seeing you in Portugal. I admire your creation and will be my honour to felt together. Looking forward to the date.

Heather Woollove said...

Terrie--I know it's going to be fantastic...and didn't you already do lots of raw fleece felting with Kim N a year or so ago?!? You are certain to be a rock star in Portugal!! XXO-

MarmePurl said...

WOW...that looks like so much fun to make. Talented lady you are!

Melissa Plank said...

I love seeing all the tricks that went into making this beauty, I am so lucky!!!!

Heather Woollove said...

Melissa--I thought you might get a kick out of these photos. :)

Heather Woollove said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Heather Woollove said...

MarmePurl--I'm so glad you've stopped by! Thanks!!

Jeany said...

Oh maiiiii your a magicion!!!! GreatGreatGREAT!!

Heather Woollove said...

Janine--Thanks so much!