Friday, September 17, 2010

Pillow For My 'Swap Angel'-Part One

 

I wanted to make something special for my 'swap angel'...

...who had generously 'gifted' me without any expectations.

I had in mind an off-center, truncated flower...

...with felted 'dreads' as stamens.

I drafted a flower design...

...and traced it onto interfacing for use as a pattern.

 

I had to remember to number the pattern pieces...

...so I could keep them straight, later on.

I also needed to allow for a 'seam allowance' on some of the pieces...

...(just the areas where the petals would overlap)...

...since I didn't want the background color to show through there at all.

 

I used orange pre-felt for the petal shapes...

...and cut out the pieces with a pair of sharp shears.

 

For the center of the flower, I finger-rolled three dark purple 'dreads'...

...then needle-felted them to a circle of yellow wool until they were secure.

(Check out my excellent new needle-felting mats!!)

Next time...

...the finished pillow.

P.S. She likes it...she really, really likes it!! Giggle.

Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Jackie said...

Ooh that looks exciting. I can't wait for the finished piece.

Anonymous said...

Love your pillow. Perfect for this time of year too, so appropriate! LOL :)