Monday, January 11, 2010

No More Tumor Heel!

 

 

 

 


Remember the black alpaca slippers that I made for my (very patient) boyfriend?

Those puppies had some serious issues...

...not the least of which was a tendency to shed...

...and a growth on the back of one heel.

Check out my slipper resists (above)!

The bigger one is the one I used the first time...

...for the wonky pair of slippers.

The much smaller one is the one that made the perfect-sized pair you see modeled here.

My regular readers will know that I absolutely hate following directions in my artwork...

...but, honestly, sometimes I'm just plain ridiculous!

So, I found (and, yes, used-sighhhh) a wonderful tutorial by Pat Spark on the Feltmaker's List (thanks, Pat!)...

http://members.peak.org/~spark/FeltBootPattern.html

...which teaches you how to draft a pattern based on actual measurements...

...rather than foo-fooey guesswork. :(

Because my first pair were so thick and difficult...

...I may have made these a little on the thin side.

They seem a bit more like thick socks than slippers...

...and they are a little too 'slipper-y'.

More on this topic next time.









Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Sandie Knapp said...

Practice does make perfect, remember. You are well on your way. This pair is a huge improvement over the first pair. And as much as we may not like being a slave to directions, sometimes they do make it easier and so are worth it in the end. :)

Good job!

Vilt à la Kim said...

The slippery can be undone by using some liquid rubber or sewing leather underneath, which also prevents it from getting holes....

I fogot to add rubber underneath my slippers and it looks like i'll have to make some new ones soon......