Monday, March 9, 2015

A Brief Foray Into Bookmaking- Part 7 of 7

From a piece of thick, yellow leather...

...I cut a cover for this book.


                                       I used the natural edge of the tanned hide...

                                       ...for the asymmetrical top and front flap.



                                    I added a loop of black leather for the closure...



                                 ...(stitching it to the cover with waxed linen thread).



                                                I punched holes in the leather...



                                                    ..for the paper signatures...



                                            ...and with additional linen thread...



                                                  ...stitched them into place.


                                  
                                                   The back of the journal...


                       ...and a peek inside to see my friend, Deborah's sweet doodles.



                                                        The finished journal.



6 comments:

Rachel said...

Delightful indeed. Although I know I have real difficulties in drawing in beautiful sketchbooks. I know my sketches don't live up to the binding!

Heather Woollove said...

Rachel-- I've felt that same trepidation in the past, but I think it's wonderful to regularly make use of beautiful things. :)

Terriea Kwong said...

Love all your books. This yellow leather covered journal is the most outstanding. The tiny one is also lovely. Good as ornament for bags.

Heather Woollove said...

Terriea- Yes...a little dangling book would look cute on a purse! :)

FeltersJourney said...

Oh how I luuuurve my journal Heather :) .. especially being my favourite 'happy yellow' :)
Love seeing the progress pics of it's birth! xoxo

Heather Woollove said...

Deborah- I'm really glad you like it and are using it! Hxx