Sunday, January 4, 2015

'Marbled' Green Cloche

For this project...

...I created custom-blended batts in my drum carder...


                                 ...using several different shades of green wool...

                           ...and dyed tussah silk fibers in dark green and chartreuse.



                                        I wrapped the resist with layers of fiber...

                                       ...and felted it until it passed the 'pinch test'.



                                                    Mid-way through felting...

                                           ...I cut rows of slits in the soft felt...



                                              ...just like I did to make this hat...



                             ...but instead of trimming the terminal edge into 'teardrops'...



                                             ...I left the brim long all around...


                          
                                          ...for a more casual-looking 'cuffed' style.



                           Because I used so many different kinds and colors of fiber...



                               ...the finished hat has quite a 'marbled' appearance...



                                              ...and the bits of dyed tussah silk...

                                                  ...add a welcome shimmer! 



3 comments:

Unknown said...

Gee, that hat looks familiar. And now I know exactly how it was done too. Thank you so much for my lovely warm hat. XOXO

Rachel said...

Yes, the marbled effect is charming.

Heather Woollove said...

Sandie- I'm glad you like it...it's 'your' color!!!
Rachel- I've been using my drum carder a bit more, lately and it's quite fun to see what colors I can make!! :)