Saturday, March 30, 2013

Leather-Soled Pre-Felt Men's Slippers- Part 3 of 3

After wrapping each resist with layers of wool roving...

...and felting for a time...

 
...I cut a slit into the 'top' of each slipper...

 
...and turned it 'right side' out.

 
Using the finished slippers as templates, I cut out leather soles...

...then punched stitching holes around the perimeter of each one...

...prior to attaching them to the felt with nylon thread.

 
The finished slipper tops...

 
...and bottoms (suede side 'out').

 
A view of one pebbly interior.

 
By utilizing pre-felt in this way...

...it was easy to create a pair of matching slippers!

 
My neighbor (and walking buddy) has a big birthday coming up...

...and a foot pampering pair of slippers seemed to be 'just the ticket'!

 I made them 'inside out' (as usual)...

...and took pains to keep track of which side was which...

...every time I added a new layer of roving.

To prevent them from quickly wearing through...

...(in case he pulls them on to go outside for the newspaper)...

...I added full leather soles.

'Fingers crossed' that they'll fit him when he finally tries them on! :)

Posted by Picasa

11 comments:

Rachel said...

They'll stretch a little to fit, so I'm sure they're close enough... And they look wonderfully cosy!

Jeany said...

Oh wauw, this looks realy great, love to make it too someday ;))

Kelly said...

love how you added the leather bottoms! This will make them long wearing indeed.

Heather Woollove said...

Rachel--They are pretty cushiony! :)
Janine--This was a pretty straightforward project.I think I'll make more when I have time.
Kelly--I'm taking a page from Deborah's book...
she always puts the most lovely dyed leather soles on her slippers! :)

Becky Utecht said...

I'm sure your friend will love them --lucky guy! Thanks for sharing your process with us, I always enjoy seeing what you're up to.

Unknown said...

Smerfastyczne te kapcie. Bardzo fajnie się prezentują.

Unknown said...

Beautiful, Heather! Love the layers and layers of colours. I hope your neighbour likes them too. What a great gift! xo Fiona

Anonymous said...

That are totally wonderful, and really pretty too. He will love them, I am sure. He would have to be insane, not to. LOL

Heather Woollove said...

Becky-Thanks! I'm always happy to hear from you and hope we'll be able to get together again before too long!
Karolina-Thanks!
Fiona-We joke that we are 'soul mates' because we walk most mornings. I hope he enjoys wearing them. :)
Sandie-I'm always a little uncertain whether my gifts for men are 'manly' enough...so I hope this one is!

Anonymous said...

They look so comfy!

Heather Woollove said...

Rosiepink--Thanks! I can happily report that my neighbor says they are quite comfy, indeed!! :)