Saturday, August 22, 2015

Deconstructing Slippers (An Experiment)- Part 1 of 2

I bought this pair of hand sewn slippers recently...

...and I wanted to try to draft a pattern from them...

...for later use (in modified fashion) with finished felt.


                                        I traced around each of the slipper parts...



                                          ...added seam allowances all around...

                                      ...and cut the patterns from white craft paper.



                                  Cotton flannel was chosen for the slipper interior...



                      ...and a boldly printed upholstery fabric was my exterior choice.



                                        Figuring out how to assemble the pieces...

                                                        ...was rather fiddly...



                                                     ...but I persevered. :)


                              After the pieces of the flannel interior were stitched together...



                               ...I trimmed off the seam allowances to reduce interior bulk.



                       Next time: I sew an identical 'half slipper' from the heavier fabric...

                             ...and end my experiment (for the time being, anyway). :)

4 comments:

Rachel said...

Strange - there you are, deconstructing a pair of slippers to sew them together, and there's me, stashing away some wool and instructions so I can felt myself a pair of slippers all in one piece!

Heather Woollove said...

Rachel- Hahaha....yes, it must be the End Times!! ;)

Unknown said...

I think that's a fantastic idea. Especially if the slippers you are replicating are a pair that you especially like. Can't think of a better way to make sure you can continue in the future, with the same slippers you love so much, than making them yourself. :)

Heather Woollove said...

Sandie- I don't think I'll even make the second one, but it was a cool experiment. :)