Thursday, November 25, 2010

'Fleece-In-The-Grease' Throw Rug

Black Romney fleece being covered with a layer of white roving (and later, cheesecloth).
 


The front side of the rug mid-felting.
 


Close up.
 


Finished rug in its new 'home'.
 


My Black Romney fleece was whispering to me recently...

..."Use me, use meeeee!"...

...so I decided it was time for another fleece-in-the-grease project. Grin.

I had an old throw rug in the dining room which had seen better days...

...and a handmade replacement seemed in order.

I laid out wool locks and covered them with merino roving...

...then topped them with a layer of cheesecloth for structural support.

Because of its location and intended use...

...I didn't want to leave tufts like I did with my full fleece pillow.

I think a little of the charm of using raw fleece was lost, however...

...because of its flatness. :(

When it was finished, I found it to be a bit slippery on the bottom...

...but sewing pieces of rubber no-slip matting to the rug back solved the problem.
****************************************

Today in the US, we will celebrate our Thanksgiving holiday...

...and I would like to wish all of you a most joyful and memorable holiday.

And since giving thanks is especially appropriate today...

I would like to take the opportunity to say "Thank You" to each and every one of you, my lovely readers!

Your comments, tips and encouragement mean the world to me!!!




Posted by Picasa

7 comments:

vilterietje said...

i don't know what you use the rug for, but it's too beautifull to whipe your feet! love, riet:)

Kelly said...

Love your rug! Happy Thanksgiving to you too!

Hooked On Felt said...

Heather, It's beautiful! I looooooove it. The colors are wonderful. Will you do more?
Love ya Sweetheart!

Kim van Waardenburg said...

Dear Heather, Happy thanksgiving!! I hope your family will be around you today! Have lots of fun.
hugs,
Kim

FeltersJourney said...

Happy Thanks Giving my dear!
Lovely rug - the colours in the fleece are beautiful.
xoxo

Heather Woollove said...

Thanks, dear friends!! XXOOOOO-

WonderWhyGal said...

I had really thought about making a rug with some of my Alpaca thirds. Yours is gorgeous!

I wondered about the base though...cheesecloth? hmmm, I am going to give it a try. So far I've been weaving the fleece for rugs but now that I'm addicted to felting...I want to try to felt everything.

Andrea