Saturday, December 12, 2009

Mary Poppins Cornbread

 
 
 

"British cornbread?", you say..

"The English are not known for their use of cornmeal!"

Veddy, veddy true...

...but I'm speaking a bit more metaphorically here at present.

You know how Mary Poppins was known for coming into awful, complicated, and nearly hopeless situations...

...and with a wiggle of her nose, putting all things right again?

That's what this cornbread does, too!!

In these last few weeks before Christmas- when the shopping, wrapping, partying, card-addressing, and cookie baking threatens to overwhelm you...

...bake this cornbread.

It takes ingredients that most of us have on hand at all times...

...and, although grocery store honey and cornmeal are just fine, if you have any 'special' honey or freshly ground cornmeal, it will taste even better!

My dear friend J gave me this recipe some years ago (note the condition of the recipe card!)...

...and it is truly the best cornbread that I have ever eaten.

It is just sweet enough (the honey)...and stays moist, even for a second day at breakfast (if it lasts that long!)

...just make it, already.

You will thank me.

Mary Poppins' Golden Honey Cornbread

1 c flour
3/4 c yellow cornmeal
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1 c milk (I use buttermilk when I have it)
2 eggs
1/3 c honey
4 tbsp butter (yes)...melted (and cooled, if you are more patient than I am). :)

Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Grease an 8X8- or 9X9-inch baking pan (stoneware if you have it).

Mix everything together with a wisk in no special order.

Just try do it so as not to mix the hot butter with the eggs (they will scramble, and you don't want that!).

Pour it into the pan and bake for 20 minutes until golden brown.

You can add dried cherries (as I did) or dried cranberries if you like.

Mine started out in the shape of a heart, but fell into the batter during baking (alas).

(The cranberries are lighter and don't seem to have that problem.)
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Zed said...

Heather, this is excellent! We made muffins from this recipe yesterday (turned the oven to 400f)and they are delicious. Even the batter was gorgeous! :)
Thank you!

Heather Woollove said...

Zed-- I'm so glad that you tried them and liked them!! I just love this recipe, and I'm happy that you found a way to use it that suits your family, too!! XXO-