Monday, November 9, 2009

Double Kool-Aid Dyeing

 
 

When I've dyed things with Kool-Aid in the past, I've always over-dyed them...putting the finished garment into a dye bath after all of the felting and processing is completed.

This time, I thought I would be clever and dye the silk scarf blank with Tropical Punch Kool-Aid prior to adding my fiber.

I added brown wool to the reverse side (to help the nuno process along by giving the individual fibers on the front something to 'lock onto' as they migrated through the silk)...and bits of yellow and orange to the front side.

...plus my favorite wiggly fringe.

...what I didn't realize, however, was that the process of felting with soapy, warm water would remove most of the scarf's color by the time it was finished.

It was a pale replica of it's vibrant self.

So, I dyed it again.

Wow. It sure is a bright salmon color now!

...but cheerful.

...and luckily, it went to a recently ill friend to encourage healing.

(and it wasn't too bright for her!) :)
Posted by Picasa

No comments: