Friday, January 4, 2013

Germany 2012- Part 2 Hamburg

Touring HafenCity, we saw lots of new construction.



Here I am, being gobbled up by two large tiled fish! 
 
Even in winter, there are boats to be seen...

 
...and beautiful canal views in the gentrified warehouse district (docklands) of the city.

 
I couldn't resist a photo op with a very 'Dalek-like' church bell.

(See here if you have no idea what I'm talking about!) :)

 
The famous Christmas Markets were lively, crowded scenes of fun and celebration!

 
I loved the stall which sold only plush toy sheep.

 
Hamburg sure pulls out all the stops at Christmas-time!

 
Since we were flying home from Hamburg...

...we spent the last day and a half of our trip there.

I was slightly overwhelmed by the crowds and all of the shopping...

...and the Christmas markets that were both festive and ubiquitous.

I think I liked the quieter parts of the city better...

...the nearly empty streets of HafenCity...

...(where we visited a curious Spice Museum)...

...and the area around St. Michael's Church.

Because so many of you have (lovingly) inquired...

...I'm sad to report that my boyfriend's mother passed away the day after we arrived home.

His sister was with her at the time, however...

...and reports a peaceful and pain-free exit from this world.

I am so grateful that we were able to spend time with her in this way...

...and I know that my partner will cherish every final moment that he got to spend with his 'Mami'.

(Photo credits: Jan Neidhardt)

Posted by Picasa

8 comments:

Linda said...

Such lovely photos, it was wonderful seeing this part of the world through your camera lens.
Happy New Year!
Linda

WonderWhyGal said...

haha, that bell does look like a Dalek. Too funny.

One day I'd love to visit Germany. My grandparents are from there and my Grandpa was stationed in Germany when my mother was young so part of her childhood was on an Army base there.

Rachel said...

So sorry to hear of your bereavement.

I can imagine the Christmas markets being rather overwhelming, especially since you weren't in Hamburg for a happy reason.

Heather Woollove said...

Linda-Thank you!
Andrea--You would absolutely love it! There was even a stand in the Christmas Market with beautiful felted goods!
Rachel--It's true...but I do generally have a bit of a problem with crowds. XO-

Grazyna said...

You had a beautiful trip.Happy New Year!

Anonymous said...


oh dear, what a trip flying back home to a parent for a final goodbye is never a happy one, but good to reasd you did see some of the town. take care, Hugs

Kathryn Ray said...

I'm sorry to hear about your partner's momma, but happy that you and he were able to visit with her. It does seem that you made the most of your visit.

Happy New Year to you. :-)

Heather Woollove said...

Grazyna--Happy New Year to you, too!! XO-
Kim--Yes. I'm glad that we had a bit of a holiday weekend at the end of the week so we have happy memories along with the sad ones when we remember this trip.
Kathryn--Happy New Year, my friend!