Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Mailman Scarf

Laying out stripes of merino roving...

 
...and covering them with sections of a batt...

...made from wool, blended with cotton dots.

 
Wetting out the project...



...and mid-way through felting. 
 
The bold colors of the stripes...

 

...migrate through to the back of the scarf during felting.

 
The back side of the finished scarf...

 
...and the front side.

 
My letter carrier is a terrific guy...

...and I wanted to make him a useful Christmas gift...

...that could be worn to ward off the bitter cold this winter.

I laid out sections of merino roving in several colors...

...and covered them with rust-colored fiber from a blended batt.

After checking the edges and squaring things off...

...I rolled, rubbed and threw the scarf in the usual manner.

Voila...a simple and colorful scarf for a kind and hard-working man.

Posted by Picasa

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Efekt ciekawy. Z niecierpliwością czekam co z tego wyniknie. Pozdrawiam

Heather Woollove said...

Karolina--I'm afraid I've conditioned you to expect a Part 2...but with this one, what you see IS the finished project! :)

Anonymous said...

And I bet he just LOVED it! It's totally wonderful. I love the strippes. What a great idea!

Elizabeth said...

Is that in Polish? Can you read it, Heather, or did you use a translator? If you read it, I am beyond impressed! Wow!

Heather Woollove said...

Sandie-Yes...he was very happy to receive it. :)
Elizabeth--Hahaha...no...I love Google Translate!

Rachel said...

Looks just like that long stripy scarf the 1970s Dr Who wore!

Heather Woollove said...

Rachel---Hahaha...yes...same colors, but the stripes are going the wrong way!
...but now you've given me an idea for a future scarf!! XO-