Wednesday, September 19, 2012

An Unusual House-Guest!

What looked at first like an oddly shaped shadow on my living room curtain...



...now back in the front yard where she/he belongs! 
 
"We interrupt our regularly scheduled blog post...

...for an Insect Update!" Giggle.

Looking out my front window mid-day yesterday...

...I noticed a strange shadow on the lace curtain.

Could it be?

Why, yes! A praying mantis was actually inside my house!

I guess the light brown color was as close as she could get to white. :)

After gently trapping her in a large, lidded container...

...my daughter and I placed her back into the front yard, from whence she came.

Although she wandered off before I could get a photo of her in her new, green camouflage...

...having her 'visit' was an exciting treat on an otherwise dull day!

Posted by Picasa

10 comments:

Rachel said...

What a treat! We've had a bat in the house once, but the only insects have been unwelcome rather than entertaining!

Heather Woollove said...

Rachel--A bat! Shudder! :)

Het Wolbeest said...

Nice company ;-). Love, Alexandra

Heather Woollove said...

Alexandra--They're sweet, aren't they? (Except that when I looked them up, I found that they are in the same insect family as cockroaches(!) Yikes!!) :)

Anonymous said...

Lucky you! I haven't even seen a praying mantis since I moved up here to the mountains. Maybe they don't like it here? Always loved them when I was a girl. Every time I would find one, I would put it in the garden, like I do now when I find garden snakes. LOL They are very interesting bugs. I'm glad you took good card of it. :)

Heather Woollove said...

Sandie--One time, when I was little, one somehow got on my mom's head while she was wearing curlers!

FeltersJourney said...

What a graceful visitor
:D far more exotic than our bugs.. which I don't mind and always liberate safely - though flying daddy-longlegs give me the heebee-geebies and Gary has to rescue those (I shudder at the thought of all those legs falling off at the slightest touch)!
We've had quite a few birds fly into the house.. I remember when a big fat wood pigeon flew straight up the dinning room into the living room and landed 6ft away from our 6 week old litter of puppies.. the race was on to pick him up before they could find out whether he squeeked (happy to say I won :)
xx

Heather Woollove said...

Deborah--Hahaha...what an exotic home life you have!! We've had mice and spiders and the occasional 'stink bug', but that's about it. ;)

FeltersJourney said...

OK now I GOT to google stink bugs! I have no idea what they are but they sound like they belong on Harry Potter or something :)
x

Heather Woollove said...

Deborah--like Harry Potter...I LOVE that!! :)
Here's info about stink bugs: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brown_marmorated_stink_bug
...they are actually very prehistoric and scary-looking (the same way horseshoe crabs are!) Shudder.