Wednesday, August 1, 2012

"Slip-On" Felt Mules- Pair 3 of 3


I replicated my earlier pre-felt embellishments...

...because I liked how cheerful they looked when felted.

 
I covered them with aubergine roving this time, though....

...and used pieces of leftover art batt for the inner layers.

Cutting both slippers at once (and working alone) = two matching slippers this time! Grin.
 
One mule turned right-side-out and one still inside-out.

 
Working the cut edges of the felt in order to seal them.

 
The "Three Bears" of slippers...

...one is too small, one is too flimsy...



...and one is just right!

 
These are exactly my size, and are sturdy enough to be functional...

...plus, the vamp comes up high enough on my foot that they actually stay on while walking!

 
'The third time's the charm'?

It turns out that making slippers to fit my size 9 gunboats...

...requires 40 grams of wool per mule.

I've since made a green pair for my daughter (with only one minor adjustment)...

...but I'll give you a break in my next post...

...and show you something new!

Posted by Picasa

11 comments:

Terriea Kwong said...

How wonderful to see the three pairs and their difference. The last one pairs I love - colorful.

Heather Woollove said...

Terriea--Thanks! I found it helpful to 'compare and contrast' with this project. :)

Elizabeth said...

That's determination! I would have switched resists and made a hat by now! Glad you finally broke the code and got the result you wanted.
:-)

Heather Woollove said...

Oh, Elizabeth...NEVER a hat!! Grin.

Unknown said...

Heather- these are wonderful- a look like a perfect fit and a great design! The foot coverage looks perfect. The colours together are fantastic! It was so fun to read through the progress of this project..(maybe more fun to read than to do?:)
Warm wishes, Fiona

Rachel said...

Good to know you feel you've cracked it!

Ginny Huber said...

Love the process and the pictures.. and the "just right" ones look they fit great.

Kelly said...

I love how you did not give up and finally made a pair that were just right....kinda like Goldilocks :)

Heather Woollove said...

Fiona--Thanks! Yes...the eggplant with yellow and orange is nice, isn't it?!?
...and I did enjoy the process a lot with these, actually. They are small and don't take all day, so I didn't mind the flubs too much! :)
Rachel--This is a project that's open to lots of interpretation, so you may yet see different results from me!! :)
Ginny--Yes, they do fit well. I need to buy some 'puffy paint' to put on the bottoms so they are less slippery.
Kelly--I am a persistent woman, if nothing else!! Giggle.

Voie de Vie said...

I'm not a big slipper fan, but the colors on that last pair are wonderful! Nice to see you got the process down.

Heather Woollove said...

Denise--Yes...it felt like 'cracking the code' when I finally sorted it out! Giggle.