Friday, October 1, 2010

Soup Recipe and Felting Studio "Tweaks"

 

 

 

 


My dear friend, J, prepared some soup the other weekend when I visited...

...and boy, was it delicious!!

I can't claim that it's low-fat or anything...

...and in fact, I changed the heavy cream in her recipe to half and half when I made it!!

I like it, because it's easy and doesn't have a lot of unusual ingredients...

...yet it's exceptionally flavorful and elegant...good for a dinner party!

Fall Tomato Bisque
(makes 5 servings)

6 sticks of celery, chopped
1 large onion, chopped
1 red pepper, chopped
2 ounces (1/4 cup)butter
1 tbsp tomato paste
3 cans (14.5 ounces each) diced tomatoes with juice
large handful basil leaves, coarsely chopped
2 tsp salt
3/4 tsp freshly ground pepper
1 tbsp sugar
1 and 1/2 cups half and half

In a large saucepan, saute celery, onion and red pepper in butter until tender.

Add tomatoes, tomato paste, sugar, salt and pepper and bring to a boil.
Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 40 minutes.

Remove from heat, stir in chopped basil (reserving a few pieces for garnish)
and cool slightly.

Transfer half of the soup to a blender and puree.

Stir the pureed soup and half and half back into the soup in the pan and heat thoroughly.
(Do not boil)
***************************************
I had been wanting to 'glam up' my new felting studio for a while, now...

...since I had mainly been concentrating on its functionality, not its looks! :)

I found some great adhesive wall hooks (3M Brand 'Command')...

...and since I didn't have to drill any holes in the walls...

...I can move them around at will, if I change my mind!

I thought it would be fun to have an ever-changing display of felt for inspiration...

...so I began by hanging two of my own scarves, plus a fabulous orange 'squid scarf' that was made for me by my boyfriend (and newbie felter), J.



Posted by Picasa

10 comments:

Gretel said...

it is definitely soup weather! Loving the scarves - you must be a good teacher, the orange squid is fab!

Heather Woollove said...

Thanks, Gretel...but I cannot claim any credit for the squid scarf. He had one of the best felting teachers in the universe while making it: Elis Vermeulen!!
(and believe me, she had to encourage him A LOT!!) Grin.
I haven't managed to get him to do even one small project since we're
home....sighhhh. I'll keep trying, though!! :)

Alison Sampson said...

I LOVE the 'coral' scarf. Thanks for visiting The Idea of Home and your thoughtful comments. Now my 4 year old has been wearing an electric blue leotard all week from the dress up box... at least we get lots of cheerful grins when we head down to the local shops!

FeltersJourney said...

Oh Heather the felt studio is looking ace! Your white walls are a perfect background to show off your gorgeous felt.. LOVE it! Squid scarf is excellent, well done to BF! Cant imagine much success getting my lovely hubby felting, he prefers wood :)

IM feeling soupy too, and that one looks yummy
x

PeggyR said...

I love your felting! The recipe sounds wonderful. We will give it a try.

Kelly said...

Yum on the soup! Great taste in pottery ;)! I bet it's great with a grilled cheese sandwich! Love those 3M adhesive hooks, I use them all over my classroom! Saw that picture of your shelves with all of the wool...:) And your boyfriend made an awesome looking scarf...my favorite colors together! Looks like a flame.

Heather Woollove said...

Alison--blue leotards...excellent!!

Deborah--You're lucky!!I'd love to have a woodworker 'on hand', too!

Peggy--Let me know how you like the soup. It doubles well, too!

Kelly--We 'Polish pottery girls' are fiends for the stuff, aren't we?!?
Yes...the scarf is quite 'overt'!!
I can't wait to wear it!!

Little Miss Adventure said...

That soup looks delicious. It has been so long since we've had fresh tomatoes, but if we get any in soon I'll have to try it.

Kim van Waardenburg said...

I am still trying to get my husband into felting but he will never give it a try I guess:(
But I must admit he helps a lot in other ways: having dinner ready everyday, helping me out with preparations for my open house next sunday... I hope I'll be ready:)
lovely scarfs!!

Heather Woollove said...

Rebecca--It uses canned diced tomatoes and tomato paste, so you might have those on hand!!

Kim--You have a wonderful husband. As they say,"Be careful what you wish for"...ever since Jan made his one and only scarf, he is verrrrry critical of everything I make!! Giggle.