Wednesday, October 6, 2010

"Silk Bits" Pillow Cover-Part Two

 

Pinning the first piece of hemmed fabric to the back of the felt square.

 

The fully backed pillow cover sewn with a one-inch border.

 

Finished pillow with insert.

 

Pillow back.
**************************************************


I find that it takes a lot of time...

...to choose the proper fabric for the backs of my pillow covers.

When I've made pillows with resists, and merely had to cut a slit and stuff them...

...I haven't been confronted with this element of design!

I cut two fabric pieces so they would be long enough to overlap...

...then made small hems on each side and sewed them to the pillow back.

I sewed the fabric pieces very near to the felt edge to hold them tight...

...then sewed a second seam about one-inch in from each edge, making a flange.

The pillow form fits very snugly inside the cover now...

...with no appreciable gapping on the pillow back.



Posted by Picasa

11 comments:

Kathleen said...

Your pillow is gorgeous!! I made some 24" batik log cabin pillows for my bed and the backs -- two different batik prints and huge funky buttons - is as pretty as the front. I love what you did with the wool over the fabric.
Bravo!!

FeltersJourney said...

I LOVE this pillow! ABsolutely gorgeous!
For some reason the felt reminds me of Victorian floral decaupage... Really lovely
x

Cameron said...

Really like the fabric that you chose. Great eye. Hugs for you...

Heather Woollove said...

Thanks Kathy, Deborah and Cameron!
I'm going to be working on a lot of pillows in the next few weeks (month?), since I'm making them for Christmas presents...so it's good to know I'm on the right track. Hugs--

Anonymous said...

Absolutely gorgeous! And so perfect for Fall too. Beautiful work lady!

Happy Mommy said...

I really like how you finished the back. It makes it so much easier to put the pillow inside. Makes it easy to hide not so pretty pillows inside.

Trudis said...

Lovely blog you have! Got the link from Vilt a la Kim. Will check it regulary!
Enjoy your felting!
Trudis

Heather Woollove said...

Sandie--Thanks!
Leann-High praise, indeed, from an expert seamstress!
Trudis-Welcome!! I read your blog regularly, as well!!

Kim van Waardenburg said...

lovely pillow!! I preferr to felt it witha resist as I cannot sew so nicely:( well done heather!!!

Darcys Knotty Knitter said...

How totally beautiful just so crafty thankyou for sharing the process it is fascinating:)
Thankyou for the Birthday wishes my Birthday is October 25th I knit the shawl before the girls started school because I knew it would be crazy busy afterwards then since the weather has been going from hot to cold to hot we have also had colds and the flue.
Hoping to knit somethings for my birthday I have yarn and projects planned now to just find the spare moments.lol Hugs Darcy

Heather Woollove said...

Darcy--Thanks for stopping by!
I hope you will have a wonderful birthday on the 25th!! My youngest daughters (twins) will be 19 on the 23rd and I just love Fall birthday parties. I hope you get a chance to knit something and that you and your family are all completely healthy soon!!