Tuesday, February 18, 2014

My Enormous New Felt-Covered Compost Bin- Part 2 of 2


                                                   This bin is not one to hide in the shadows!


                                           Constructed of early felt projects, workshop sample pieces...


                                                     ...failed hats, scarves, purses, shawls...


...and one large piece of felt made expressly for this project...


                                                            ...it is truly epic in scale! :)


                                            I spent several hours hand-stitching the felt to the 'cage'...

                                              ...using strong nylon thread and lots of tiny stitches.


                               This time, the lid is reinforced with a wire form for structural support...

                                               ...and boasts an integral handle for easy opening.


                                                            My new compost bin in situ!

                                                 Compare the size of it with my last bin...

                         ...(on the bottom left in this photo...hiding behind the ornamental grasses)...

                                               ...and you'll see just how large it really is!!) :)                         


5 comments:

Rachel said...

Yikes! It's huge! I hope your compost bin truly appreciates the glory in which you have clothed it!

FeltersJourney said...

Wow Heather.. what a whopper!

I love the top photo with all the gorgeous oranges.. Very artistic! It looks more of a sculptural installation than compost bin :)
xx

Angelika Geißler said...

Wow, this is really gorgeous...
Almost tooo beautifull to use it as a compost bin!!!!!!!!!
Greetings from Bavaria
Angelika

WonderWhyGal said...

OMG! I love it! I love that it brings art outside plus is practical in nature.

Heather Woollove said...

Rachel-:)
Deborah-The orange piece was a huge shawl felted for me by my ex-boyfriend. I had never worn it and felt sad looking at it, lying in my studio...so now it makes me happy to actually finally use it (and of course, I love the color!)
Angelika and Andrea- Thanks so much!