Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Angel Vessel For A Holiday Swap- Part 2 of 3

Fanning out the dry bits of the handles...

...and attaching them with a bit of 'soap glue'.

 
Folding the handles over prior to felting.



The green bottom of the vessel.
 
After partially felting the piece...

...I snipped a hole in the felt to remove the resist.

 
Fulling the finished vessel.

 
The opening was trimmed to the edge of the pre-felt 'frame' prior to final felting.

 
Drying, stuffed with cloth placemats.

 
The handles are fully integrated into the surface of the bag.

 

Because I wanted the handles to come from the outside of the vessel this time...

...I did not work inside-out like I usually do...

...and no thin plastic was required.

I first made a small hole in the top of the vessel to remove the resist...

...then enlarged it later and 'healed' the cut edges with soapy fingers...

...prior to the final felting.

Next time: the 'angel' part of the project!

Posted by Picasa

8 comments:

Rachel said...

It looks great, and there's no risk of the handles coming off!

Heather Woollove said...

Rachel-Nope, they're attached for good! :)

Anonymous said...

Heather, I don't think I have ever seen such pretty felted 'basket' and I am serious. I love the design, how you sorted the handles and moreover how well made it looks. I will nick the idea and make one for our house, if I may.

Heather Woollove said...

Monika-By all means, nick the idea! It makes me happy to know that it inspired you! XXO-

Anonymous said...

Thank you, Heather, I can't wait to make mine and more for the house, it would be perfect for knitting.

Heather Woollove said...

Monika-I would never have thought of that, myself, since I'm not a knitter...it's genius! XO-

Unknown said...

I saw the 2 rectangles that were made I saw how you used the green one, how did you use the open rectangle (orange one)?

Heather Woollove said...

Kimberly- The open one became the top where the handles were attached.