Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Pink 'Two-Handled' Tote- Part 2 of 2

A close-up of some of the stitching...

 
...and the finished tote.

 
Some of the yarn only partially felted in...

...so I snipped off the most errant boingy bits after felting. :)

 
As you can see, it's an ample tote...

...with plenty of room for books, vegetables or thrift shop finds!

 
Some of the pre-felt bits that I used were leftover nuno pieces...

...and I like the organic look of the silk in them.

 
I used linen thread, silk ribbon yarn...

 
...and wool and wiggly acrylic yarns...

 
...and each one of them felted in a bit differently.

 
It's always fun to experiment!

For this project, I used different thicknesses of pre-felt...

...and different kinds of thread and yarns...

...plus a wool roving blend that I had had in my stash for some time, but hadn't yet tried.

Looking at the tote critically:

I prefer the thicker (and nuno) pre-felts to the flatter ones...

...because, even after felting, they retain some 'height' and texture.

 The wool roving that I used was definitely not merino...

...and I think that it looks a bit fuzzy after felting.

(Almost like a fulled knitted piece!)

Next time: a blue tote made with stuff that I picked up off the floor...

...literally! :)

Posted by Picasa

8 comments:

Mariana said...

I like it. Its a happy tote (or is the weather here so grey that I look for color and flowers everywhere!).
You are right about height and stuff. I like it too when there are more "levels", texture...etc.

Rachel said...

Goodness, even grocery shopping would be fun with this!

Unknown said...

Totes are fun to make, and so usefor for so many things. I this new one. Shaped slightly different, but the colors are great, and it looks like it would be a fun tote to carry about on shopping trips. :)

Heather Woollove said...

Mariana--'happy tote'..I like that!! :)
Rachel--Hahaha...:)
Sandie--Having two handles makes it quite stable, even with heavy loads!

Yvette said...

it really is one of a kind!
will make everybody smile

Heather Woollove said...

Yvette-Oh, I hope so! :)

Pearl@GreatCottages said...

So… why two handles - for fighting over thrift shop finds with fellow fellers? So you can share the weight of the finds?

I love the "cute bulges" on this and your stitching is so neat - that is neat and tidy not American neat!

:) Thanks for your comments on my Facebook page, many more photos published tonight to compensate for website down.

Heather Woollove said...

Pearl--The two handles are nice for stability when you're carrying heavy things like fruit and veg. :)