Saturday, November 17, 2012

Asymmetrical Footed Vessel With Handles-Part 1 of 3

Egg-shaped resist with dyed silk selvedge 'ribbons'.

 
Paper templates for the 'footer' and vessel 'orifice'.

 
Trimming pre-felt to the proper size and shape.

 
Laying out the 'footer'...

 
...and covering it with blue-black wool roving.

(It looks lighter in this photo than it actually is.)

 
Flipping the resist to side two.

 
Wrapping the selvedge strips to the front side...

...and adding clumps of bamboo viscose thrums.

 
Centering the pre-felt 'mouth'.

 
The process for making this vessel was described to me by a friend...

...and I decided, for my first attempt, to try it with an asymmetrical resist.

I prepared a sheet of pre-felt and cut out my 'footer' and 'orifice' shapes...

...then laid out embellishments on the resist surface.

The pre-felt bits were applied next...

...followed by layers of wool roving on both sides.

Next time: handles are fashioned...

...and the real felting begins.

Posted by Picasa

9 comments:

Rachel said...

Asymmetric, and handles too? you don't make life easy for yourself, do you!

FeltersJourney said...

Ooo interesting, look forward to seeing this progress :)
xx

Heather Woollove said...

Now, Rachel, what would be the fun in that?!? :)
Deborah--It's a fun process with this one. XO-

WonderWhyGal said...

Looking forward to the next steps. I love vessels and have bought a few at fiber festivals. They are so beautiful.

Heather Woollove said...

Andrea--Thanks! I made this as a 'thank-you' gift.

Unknown said...

Oh Heather this looks interesting, cant wait to see it come together. I love watching your progress pics xoxo

Heather Woollove said...

Karen--Thank-you! I sometimes forget to take photos of some of the steps as I go along...but I do try!! :)

Mariana said...

oooh this looks mighty interesting!

Heather Woollove said...

Mariana--Thanks! It's a pretty cool technique, I think! :)