Saturday, October 13, 2012

Unmitigated Garment Disaster- Part 5 of 5

The newly shrunken garment front (silk side out)...

 
...and back.

 
Yes, it's really that much smaller than it was!

(For reference, that's a 12-inch ruler!)



With the wool side out (front side)... 
 
...and back.

 
After I'd given up on ever wearing this garment...

...or even having anyone else ever wear it...

...I decided to shrink it in the washing machine and sew it up into a cute little market bag with handles.

Then, one of my daughters suggested that I keep it for use as a toddler dress..

...so I put it away in the attic with my favorite baby clothes...

...for that happy day (fingers crossed!) sometime in the future. :)

Posted by Picasa

11 comments:

Rachel said...

Goodness, it shrank a lot, didn't it!

Heather Woollove said...

Hahaha...YES! Just like a wool jumper that's gotten into the wash by mistake! :)

Kathryn Ray said...

I think that's a good save. :-)

Heather Woollove said...

Kathryn--:) Somehow, I think the proportions look better after shrinking it, too!

Little Miss Adventure said...

A toddler tunic was the first rescue that came to my mind! I hope it finds a home soon!

Elizabeth said...

I think for a child I'd cut the points off the hem & use the pieces for either one pocket on the chest with a flower sewn on showing the reverse side OR sew two pockets down in front.

Heather Woollove said...

Rebecca Haha...let one of them get married first, please!!
Elizabeth. Great idea,but I think I'll wait to see the little one and THEN do alterations!! :)

Voie de Vie said...

I don't think that's a disaster at all! It'll look cute on (hopefully) the proper grandchild. :)

My only disaster would be about the storing it - no storage space at this inn. :)

Anonymous said...

I'm giving you an A for effort, if nothing else. You tried something different, and it didn't work. Not the end of the world, right? Besides, maybe it was meant for a tiny one in the first place, and it was waiting for you to discover that. So put it in the wish basket, and save it for that special day when it will have a deserving little girl to wear and model it proudly for you. :)

FeltersJourney said...

Good idea saving it for repurposing as a toddler tunic!
I can imagine all the wonderful little clothes you will make when that happy day comes!
xx

Heather Woollove said...

Thanks for all of your encouraging words!