Saturday, April 21, 2012

Burlap Bag Totes- Part 1 of 2

Two re-purposed burlap bags...

 
...and a fabric lining (with pockets!).

 
'Sandwiching' a layer of twill tape within each handle.

 
Pinning pockets to the fabric lining.

 
A second pair of purse handles.

 
After stitching the lining to the burlap bag...

 
...turning it 'right side out'...

 
...and sewing up the opening.

 
I recently purchased dried beans and wheat berries...

...and I was charmed by their printed burlap wrappings!

It seemed a waste just to throw them away...

...so I decided to make totes from them, instead!

I found companionable fabric among the pieces in my stash...

...and stitched up linings with pockets.

I fashioned longish straps, as well...

...lining them with twill tape for structural support.

Next time: the finished bags. :)

Posted by Picasa

11 comments:

Kathleen said...

What on earth are you doing with five pounds of garbanzo beans????

Jeany said...

great, Thank you for showing this, have a great weekend!

Heather Woollove said...

Kathy--Hahaha...baba ghanouj, soup and hummus, baby! :)
Janine--Thanks! I hope your weekend is wonderful, too!

Elizabeth said...

I have some printed burlap bags I was going to felt. Alas, inspiration has not yet struck! I like your bags showing off the graphics.

Senna said...

Hello again,

a originally idea and so a nostalhic look :)

I wish a great weekend :) Senna

Heather Woollove said...

Elizabeth--Nicola Brown (Clasheen) makes beautiful felt pieces using tweed fabric. Maybe some of her posts will inspire you with your burlap/felt project?
Senna--I couldn't bring myself to trash them, and I think they're kind of fun as totes!

Kathryn Ray said...

I love burlap bags! I actually have a rice bag that has a zipper and a handle already... I can't wait for us to finish off that rice so I can use the bag for fiber projects. :-)

I've also started buying flour in cloth sacks... need to use those up too. :-)

I'm excited to see your finished bag!

Heather Woollove said...

Kathryn--I love bags like that! I haunt the Chinatown grocery stores for treats like that!

Rachel said...

Great idea!

FeltersJourney said...

These are great Heather :) I love printed burlap sacks and you have turned them into totally charming take-anywhere bags. Lovely x

Heather Woollove said...

Rachel--Thank you!
Deborah--They were so cute starting out, I just had to find a way to make use of them. :)