Sunday, January 22, 2012

Paisley Tote Bag- Part 2 of 2



Laying out bright orange wool to make a small, flat sheet of felt.


Stitching basic paisley outlines onto the finished felt...


...and filling them in with more machine stitching.


The finished bag front...


...and back.


(Sorry for the washed out colors...the bag is actually brighter and darker than this.)


Peeking inside...


...and the back, again, in close-up.


I made a piece of flat felt in a brighter orange color...

...and traced paisley shapes onto it with a pencil.

I machine stitched around the perimeter of each design with contrasting thread...

...then filled in each shape with a different design.

I cut the paisleys from the sheet of felt...

...and appliqued them onto the finished bag.

You'll notice that the smallest paisley piece...

...acts as a dot for the letter "i" in "Jackie"! :)

It's quite a good-sized bag...

...and it's sturdy enough for a trip to the library or produce market.

Posted by Picasa

14 comments:

Unknown said...

Thats very clever Heather and looks amazing, the perfect size to for carrying supplies lol

Heather Woollove said...

Karen--Thank you! It's such a straightforward project and I like that you can narrow the handle (or fold and stitch it if you prefer), or add any kinds of embellishments to it that you like.
(Easily customizable for gift giving!!) XXO-

WonderWhyGal said...

Love the bag!
Love the Paisleys!
LOVE the Orange!

Terriea Kwong said...

Awesome sturdy bag for shopping or carrying books to library, to picnic... anywhere, with admires. Love the way you place the letters. Just got the idea. GREAT!

stufenzumgericht said...

Hi Heather,
thanks for visiting my blog and leaving such a kind comment! Your felted Tote Bag looks absolutely stunning, really love it! Martina

Rachel said...

Looking great - vibrant and cheerful!

Suzanne said...

Amazing job Heather! I love how nicely the name came out.

Heather Woollove said...

Andrea--Hahaha!
Terrie--I hope you'll try one. They would be amazing with eco-dyeing, wouldn't they?
Martha--Thank you so much!! I'm glad you stopped by as well!
Rachel--Yes...orange...sigh!! :)
Suzanne--Thank you!! My cursive from back in the days of Zaner-Bloser pens!! :)

Linda said...

Heather,
This is such a gorgeous project, so wonderful! You are very clever.
Take care
Linda

Heather Woollove said...

Linda--Thank you so much!! :)

Hinterland Mama said...

It's taken me a little while to come and visit properly. But I'm so glad I did! This project is so gorgeous. I would love to see it in real life! Maybe one day I'll tackle a project as large as this. Although I don't feel very confident about any writing turning out as legible as yours! (I would probably needle felt that part).
Thank you for sharing the process in such detail. Gives me confidence to give it a go!

Heather Woollove said...

H.M.-Thank you so very much!! If you decide to try adding pencil roving writing, I've found that it's best to work inside-out. I write the name on the back side of my plastic resist (in Sharpie permanent marker) so that it's already in reverse, and use 'soap glue' (grated soap left in a small bit of water to become gluey), spread on the surface of the resist to kind of 'paste' it in place. When you lay out wool over it, just take your time and don't 'jiggle' it, and you'll be surprised how nicely it works. Start with something small until you see how it works...it's not hard at all!!

Hinterland Mama said...

Oh my! You make it sound so simple Heather. So much detail, I truly appreciate it. I must try a simple version of this project... soon. ღ

Heather Woollove said...

H.M.-Yes...give it a try! I look forward to seeing your beautiful project!