Friday, August 26, 2011

'Neighborhood Park' Hat- Part 1 of 3

Cutting out a basic hat template.

 


Designing 'trees'.

 


Attaching the trees to the pattern.

 


Adding the corner of a 'kite stuck in a tree' to the resist.

 


Laying out roving.

 


Flipping it over for side two.

 


Yellow pencil roving marks the center line on the road's surface.

 


Most of you know that I'm not really a hat maker...

...but I needed to make one to wear to a "Mad Hatters" party this week...

...and I decided that if I had to make one, I'd at least make it interesting! Giggle.

I fashioned a template for a standard sort of hat...

...then added antennae-like trees to the template top.

I traced my design onto a piece of foam floor underlayment for a resist...

...and added an extra corner piece for the kite that I planned to have stuck in the tree. :)

I laid out green roving for the grass and leaves, brown roving for the tree trunks...

...and light black roving for the surface of the road.

Short lengths of yellow pencil roving...

...mark the center line on the highway.

Next time: the kite makes an appearance!

Posted by Picasa

9 comments:

WonderWhyGal said...

oooooh! I can't wait to see how this turns out. I hope you take some photos of the other hats from your party too.

Kathleen said...

Heather, That is just hilarious! You are clearly having a grand time. Can't wait to see the next step.

Kathy

Unknown said...

This is so fun, Heather! It'll be an awesome hat to wear to a mad hatters party! The kite is a great idea! Will anyone be riding or driving down the road? :) Love your ideas!

Vivian said...

Once a again you make a fascinating process look so easy. That's going to be one interesting looking hat with the grass, trees, kite and a road!

Patty Biermans said...

You really gone be a "mad" hatter! (hahahaha) Can't wait to see the finished product on your head! hugz...peebee

Anonymous said...

Well, only a hat you make yourself can ever be mad enough for a Mad Hatter's party!

Jenn said...

Oh, this is going to be cute!

Kelly said...

your design is fabulous!!! :) You HAVE to show us a picture of you wearing it!!!

Heather Woollove said...

Thanks, ladies! I'm just back from Felter's Fling this evening, so more later!!