Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Scarf With Sari Silk, Wool Yarn and Beads

Laying out wool batts and tencel.

 


Pseudopodal scarf end.

 


The finished scarf.

 


Detail of sari silk, tencel, beading and embroidery.

 


Some months ago...

...I bought several large white wool batts from a Mennonite farm in Lancaster, Pennsylvania.

Rather than laying out each of my projects from scratch...

...I was eager to try out this pleasant shortcut!

In order to make the most of the batt's pre-formed nature...

...I fashioned a scarf by making semi-circular cuts from a long rectangle...

...and re-applying them as 'bumps'!

I also added lots of textured and colorful inclusions...

...tencel fibers, sari silk waste and wool yarn.

When it was finished, I thought it needed an extra jolt of color...

...so I hand-embroidered around the edges with multi-colored thread.

The surprising thing about this scarf is the way it fits...

...since the cutouts provide perfect little indentations for one's neck!

Posted by Picasa

6 comments:

vilterietje said...

love your bumpy scarve, hope you wear it around your neck:)

Patty Biermans said...

This is an extra odinary design.(don't know if I said it right?)but I loooove it!! Your designs get better each day.Hugz...Peebee

Anonymous said...

Unique, and I can just bet it lays very nice against the bare neck, keeping it snuggly and warm. :) Love the blotches of color and fiber too. They really dress it up. :)

Heather Woollove said...

Thanks, ladies!

Nancy said...

What a great scarf and so original.....Take a picture of it on and let us see how it looks...Great job

Heather Woollove said...

Thanks, Nancy!
Today's post is especially for you and Riet! :)