Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Felt United Project-Banner

 

 

 

 


If you missed the inagural of Felt United last year, like I did...

...now is the time to make something for this year's celebration!

October 2nd is the 2nd International Day of Felt...

...and every felter in the world is encouraged to help celebrate by making a project!

The wedge of the colour wheel featured this year...

...is yellow through green to blue.

I started thinking seriously about my project in August...

...when Elis Vermeulen spoke to our felting class about the aspirations of the Felt United campaign.

It's a place for felters of all abilities and styles, from every part of the globe...

...to come together on one day to celebrate and unite through felt!!

The goal is to cover the earth with felt...

...and show the world the amazing properties and beauty of our chosen medium!!!
*************************************************

For my banner, I sandwiched a layer of silk gauze between layers of yellow batts...

...then used bright green variegated roving for the 'message'.

I made flowers and greenery from fine merino top...

...and a fiddle-head fern from merino top and pencil roving.

I wanted to be able to hang it without a dowel...

...so I sewed a casing at the top, and stuffed it (very tightly) with bits of wonky wool roving.

I think my message is two-fold...

...that when there is peace, the world will feel it...

...and also that I feel truly at peace when I'm making felt

I put my banner up for the photographs this morning...

...but will put it up to stay on October 2nd.

Join me, will you?

For submission information (and more) visit www.feltunited.com.

Posted by Picasa

6 comments:

Mariana said...

what a pretty banner! Kim and I are getting together for Felt United.
Love your cushion by the way!

Heather Woollove said...

Thanks, Mariana! I know you and Kim
will have a wonderful time (as always!)

Little Miss Adventure said...

Wow, I wish I could try felting here, then it really would be felt all over the world!

Heather Woollove said...

Hahah...Rebecca. Hmmmm...I'll have to work on an addition to your care package...some wool roving, perhaps?!?! :)

Kim van Waardenburg said...

great banner!! well done let's tell the world about felt!!!

Jeanette Nord said...

Thank god I read this post. I missed it last year but won`t this year thanks to you! I am a wee bit late for a huge project since the 2 of october is close....but what the heck I`ll give it a try.

Jeanette