Sunday, June 27, 2010

Bristol Museums and a Knitting Exhibit!!

Caution: Contents of this post may not be suitable for young children. Giggle.

I'm taking a little break from food...

...in order to share with you the best of the museums that we visited.

You will soon discover that I'm a fiend for them...

...especially modern art (much to my daughters' sorrow). Giggle.

We visited the wonderful Arnolfini...

...where we explored sound and language among other things.

(Ask me about the 'H' pin I now carry!)

The Royal West of England Academy had a curious exhibit called "The Fourth Wall"...

...which provoked questions about headlessness from my daughters!

The Bristol City Museum and Art Gallery was an absolute marvel...

...hosting this amazing collection of New American art...

 


...as well as a permanent collection that is as large and varied as any big city's natural history museum plus art museum rolled into one!!

The most fiber intensive collection, however, and the most whimsical...

...was that currently on display at The Bristol Gallery.

"West Meets West" features pop artist Jann Haworth...

...who reveals the whole of "Art History of the 20th c" in her doughnut work...

 


...and works by Kelly Jenkins done on a knitting machine ...

...which are far and away my favorite textile pieces in the city!

These are wonderful, satirical, and feminist statements on what is generally thought of as merely a 'domestic craft'.

Knit Uncensored replicates a lurid magazine cover...

...and (to paraphrase Kelly's words) uses sex to sell to men as well as women- transforming knitting from a domestic hobby into a naughty but thrilling must have, helping us to laugh with, not at knitting...and elevating its status from mere 'granny craft'.

 


Kelly's piece Knit Chatlines had me doubled over and absolutely crying with laughter.

With lines like, "Naughty Forties-Older Ladies Knit Live From Home"...

..."Steamy Live Needle Action"...

... and "Sexy Local Ladies Fancy Dirty Jumper Talk"...

...the concept of knitting was permanently transformed in my mind.

 
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Happy Mommy said...

I love this! I wish I could have seen it in person. You know how I love the textiles.

Valerie said...

Wow, Heather, your trip sounds like it was amazing. I love hearing about all your museum visits, and taking your girls down paths they wouldn't choose to go. Opens minds and broadens vistas, I say! Except for the bacon... that's another entire vista!