Thursday, March 18, 2010

Shallow Felt Box

 

 

 

 


I got the inspiration for this box...

...from a wonderful tutorial on Resurrection Fern's blog.

I made some tri-color batts...

...and felted them into a large piece of flat felt.

I drew a pattern on interfacing...

...tweaking it a little, thinking that I wanted it to be more strictly rectangular than hers...

...and a little shallower, in order to fit the template to my available piece of felt.

I'm pretty sure that these were mistakes...

...since I had to sew a dart into each side to help keep them from splaying out.

I found that I also had to lose the reversibility of the project...

...when I sewed the end pieces together (also for the sake of stability).

The stitching that I ran along the edges of the box bottom helped a lot, though...

...and I would definitely do that again...

...I also like the zig zag stitch that I used to edge the box top and flaps.

If I repeat this project...

...I may forego the flap altogether and just make a large, square felt carton...

...perhaps with cut-outs for hand holes?





Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Gina said...

How beautiful. I've never seen felt used for a box before.

Kim van Waardenburg said...

My eye felll on the toys of my kids today and they played "restaurant holder" they used a felted bowl to collect their wooden veggies in... Looked so nice. When I saw this post it was so 'same minds, think the same' :)