Monday, June 9, 2014

"Trinket Bag" With Narrow Cord Handle

Covering a small resist with layers of wool roving...


                                        ...and applying woven pre-felt strips...



                                                          ...and squares.



                                                 Wetting out the project...



                                           ...and beginning the felting process.  



                                       I love the moment when the pre-felt bits...

                                      ...start to incorporate into the wool roving!



                                                        Fulling the piece.



                                                        The finished felt...



                                                    ...blocked and drying.



                               A cord is made with bits of the same wool and pre-felt...



                         ...then one tiny hole is cut into each side of the finished bag...                                         


                                   ...and the felted cord is inserted and knotted off. 



                               My friend Kathy showed me a project like this several years ago...

                               ...and I've always wanted to try one myself!

                            Designed to be a hiding place for trinkets of all kinds...

                                 ...I think that with different embellishments...

                                ...it would also make a nice 'Tooth Fairy' bag!

                (Hung on a bedpost or dresser knob, rather than tucked under a pillow...

                          ...there'd be no need to disturb your sleeping child.)

                Note: cutting the holes a bit closer to the center on each side...

                                 ...will help the bag to close a bit more securely.  

                      Next time (finally): Part 1 of the purse I made with  Fiona in March!!

6 comments:

WonderWhyGal said...

I love it! Adding the handle afterwards is nice too. Sometimes I find my handles get "fiddly".

Rachel said...

Love that plaid effect!

Heather Woollove said...

Andrea--I know what you mean!
Rachel--Thanks! It was fun to do.

Unknown said...

I love it!

Kelly said...

cute! :)

Heather Woollove said...

OK-Thanks!
Kelly-Deborah and I each made one of these while I was visiting her in England. Hers has fish on it! :)