Wednesday, February 13, 2013

"Video-Inspired" Felt Hat- Attempt 2 of 2

Cutting out a foam resist.

 
Pondering the required size of a decorative band...

 
...and trimming two pieces (front and back) to the desired width.

 
Covering the resist with dark grey roving...

 
...and enclosing the patterned band in the process.

 
The finished hat...drying...

 
...and after trimming.

 
The 'helmet-like' hat in situ.

 
For attempt number two...

...I used a resist, wool roving, and a bit of patterned fabric from a re-purposed, flocked blouse.

(Trying to approximate the decorative trim in this video).

I think that the finished hat resembles a 'brain bucket' motorcycle helmet...

...and I fear that it's a bit short in the back.

Luckily, my friend likes it and has chosen to use it as a liner for the green hat...

...and now he swears that his head feels as warm as toast! :)

Posted by Picasa

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Kolejna czapeczka bardzo fajna. Musze mojemu mężowi coś podobnego stworzyć. Ale jak go znam to i tak zaraz zgubi więc najlepiej by była pomarańczowa. Może wtedy będzie pamiętał. Pozdrawiam.

Heather Woollove said...

Karolina--Orange is always a good idea!

Rachel said...

With two layers of felt around his head, he really should be warm as toast!

Lois said...

Wow -- I know it's not felt but that video is so wonderful!! I've watched it four times now (the fifth is playing as I type) and I've sent it to my daughter's cello teacher and all the other *old* people I know who liked JT when he was the balladeer of high school memories. Sigh...

Great hat, too!

Thanks, Heather.

Heather Woollove said...

Rachel--:)
Lois--I'm so glad that you like it, too!!! I have watched it over and over again, myself. I just love the little smiles that Yo-Yo Ma gives to James Taylor from time to time...and that song! It takes me back, too! XO-