Friday, June 3, 2011

Springtime Table Runner- Part 1

Laying out cotton gauze over fluffy mixed roving.

 


A second layer of wool and a doodle of pencil roving.

 


Adding blobs of color, texture and glimmer.

 


Wetted out during felting.

 


This was a project that I made just before Easter...

...as a thank-you gift for my handyman.

I had bought some 'mystery carded fiber'...

...which is a blend of what came off the carder last at the fiber mill.

It still had some natural lanolin in it...

...and this batch wasn't perfectly white or free of vegetable matter (v.m.).

I wanted to try it to see how it would felt, though...

...and thought it would make a nice spongy base for this runner.

After making a swirly design in pencil roving...

I added bright, short fiber merino, dyed locks and Angelina fibers to the surface.

Next time: the finished runner.

Posted by Picasa

18 comments:

Melissa Plank said...

So pretty, I love how you show the stages of your creative work. Have a great, creative weekend!

vilterietje said...

heather, do you always use cotton or silk cloth to make your felt complete, it sounds like nunofelting, but i'm not sure.
up till now, it looks amazing:)

Dutch Hollow said...

Ooo what fun colors! I like your doodle.

Heather Woollove said...

Thanks, Melissa!
Riet--No...I don't always use cotton or silk, but I do like it when I'm concerned about heavy wear and tear to an item...to reinforce it a bit.
Thanks, D.H.!

WonderWhyGal said...

I love the pretty colors! I have some fiber that has VM and I am debating about keeping it for felting. I hate to create something and just see particles that I want to pick out.

Voie de Vie said...

Love the pencil doodling!

Heather Woollove said...

Thanks, Andrea! As long as they're big chunks, oddly enough, they're easy to find and yank out after felting. If they're little crushed bits, it's a LOT harder! In this project, they were covered over by the colorful bits and it worked out ok.
Thanks, Denise!

Kelly said...

Love this one! The pencil roving looks almost vine like! I am addicted to those angelina fibers! Another fiber that gives fabulous shine is tencel. It reminds me of the shine I get when I use silk.

Spinster Beth said...

Really looking forward to next week, seeing the finished photo!

AllyB said...

Such cheery colors. Your handyman is a fortunate fellow indeed. Happy Fiber Arts Friday!

Heather Woollove said...

Kelly--Have you spun any yarn with Angelina yet? I agree...at the S&W, they have wool/silk and wool/tencel blends that just draw me in with their irresistable shimmer!
Thanks Beth and Ally!

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a lot of fun - and such sunshiney colours!

Heather Woollove said...

Thanks, Rachel!

Kelly said...

Oh yes I have spun with angeline...I love the sparkle!!

Heather Woollove said...

Kelly--I can't quite figure out how to sprinkle it in. We'll have to 'chat'!! :)

Marushka C. said...

This is gorgeous! I love everything about it.

Heather Woollove said...

Thanks, Mary!!

Janee Lookerse said...

Love the colors!

xoxo
Janee