Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Raw Fleece Guest Room Rug- Part 1

Starting the layout.

 


Adding Black Romney and Jacobs fleece, white roving and bright bits.

 


With a mountain of raw fleece left to add! :)

 


The finished layout.

 


After making my own raw fleece bedroom rug...

...I wanted to try another one for my guest room ...for when all of you fiber artist friends of mine come to visit!! :)

This was also a clean up my stash kind of project...

...since I was able to use what was left of my first Jacob Hoggett fleece...

...some wonky white and grey roving that I normally only use for stuffing...

...and some of the red and orange 'felted while dyeing' commercial roving that you last saw here and here.

I wanted to make a larger rug this time...

...and one with a more oval shape (for more cold feet coverage when you get out of bed in the morning!).

As I added the concentric rings of roving...

...I tucked in colored bits of 'ribbon roving' here and there.

And I used lengths of wonky white and grey roving...

...to wrap around and corral my raw fleece into place.

Next time: the finished rug.

Posted by Picasa

10 comments:

Kelly said...

I like it! :)

vilterietje said...

ruth, it looks absolutly gorgeous!
looking forward to put my feet on it sometime in the future haha!
love, riet:)

Anonymous said...

It looks really dramatic - I'm greatly looking forward to seeing the finished piece!

WonderWhyGal said...

It looks amazing in the pre-felt form. What is the base you are using? I have been wanting to experiment with some of the Alpaca fleece that I have but not sure if I should use something to create a structured bottom like those huge coffee bean bags or not.

hmmm....

Heather Woollove said...

Thanks, ladies!
Riet--I would love for you to visit one day!!
Andrea--I topped the bit you saw with a couple of thin layers of wool roving, then a layer of cheesecloth and then one more of wool roving. I've found (through trial and error) that it holds together MUCH better this way, and forms a nice firm base.

Little Miss Adventure said...

The second photo looks like a Chelsea Bun. I never knew felting could induce hunger!

Heather Woollove said...

Hahaha, Rebecca! I see what you mean! We call ours 'sticky buns' here in Philly.

Hedwig Schumacher said...

It's so amazing to have found new wool! The wool in my room is the wool I used for the fish; I have so much wool, silk and baeutiful fabricks I bought in Kuala Lumpur.TRhe only thing I need is more time and place!
Hadiah

Voie de Vie said...

Love this in the pre-felting stage! It definitely looks soft and squishy and warm for one's toes. :)

Heather Woollove said...

Hadiah--Yes...your new wool is GLORIOUS!! I'm having the same trial here, though, too...just never enough time to create!! XXO-
Denise--Thanks! It's nice and soft, and a bit less 'bumpy and boingy' than the one I made for myself!! :)