Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Silk and Wool Roving Table Runner

Pieces cut from thrifted silk blouses.

 


The finished runner.

 


Puckered silk fabric squares.

 


Close-up.

 


I recently did a swap with my friend, Diane...

...who makes absolutely incredible dyed silk...gauze, velvet and ribbons.

She is living a life that sounds, to me, like a romance novel...

...having recently moved to France to be with her new, much-beloved and
younger husband (swoon!).

She has been redecorating, since the move...

...and has a long, black, wooden table which needed a little brightening up.

Since I wanted the runner to coordinate with gold, dark red, and saffron...

...I cut squares from some re-purposed silk in those colors, that I found in my stash.

I edged the squares with gold merino top...

...and felted them all to a base of white wool roving.

I hope that the gleam of the silk and the brightness of the white wool...

...will enliven her dark table and be a nice focal point for the room.

Posted by Picasa

12 comments:

Kelly said...

Loving the white background- all the color pops! Did you sew the silk patches on? I'm sure your friend will love this!

Heather Woollove said...

Thanks, Kelly! I stitched the edges of each square to 4 pre-felt strips, then covered the pre-felt with gold roving and felted them all together with the white roving for the base of the runner. I wanted the squares to keep their shape, so I was afraid to just nuno felt them without some sort of stitching to keep them in place.

Diane Cransac said...

I do LOVE it and it really brightens the room. Even my hubby likes it and he doesnt really care about most things like that. Thank you again Heather, you are such a sweety!

Heather Woollove said...

I'm so glad, Diane!! (You are very welcome!!) I hope you will be on the mend very soon. The flu is NO fun. XXO-

Fi said...

This is lovely.

Heather Woollove said...

Thanks, Fiona!

vilterietje said...

very special! love the combination, thanks for sharing:)

Anonymous said...

No doubt she will love it. I really like the placement of the squares, because it leaves a nice open space in the center for her to place a piece of art, or a large vase, or something similar, without hiding the design of the runner. Very nice! :)

Cameron said...

Heather, Always something new. What a great project. Where did you get the gold roving? Love to hear. Hugs

Heather Woollove said...

Thanks, Riet!
Sandie--I thought the same thing when I designed it. I didn't want a 'bumpy' middle for that exact reason! :)
Cameron--I think the gold roving was from The Little Barn http://www.littlebarninc.com/

Anonymous said...

what a beautyfull runner!! well done.
hugs,
Kim

Heather Woollove said...

Thanks, Kim!! With the snow in France, it took a really long time to arrive and we thought it had gotten lost. I was so relieved when it finally got there! :)