Friday, November 5, 2010

Finished Raw Fleece Pillow

Trimmed pillow cover.
 


Leather back side with red stitching.
 


Side view of the finished pillow...check out the wild tufts!! :)
 


Et voila!
 


After allowing the pillow front to dry for several days...

...I cautiously squared it up with a rotary cutter.

Since I was planning on stuffing it with some wonky roving that I had on hand...

...it wasn't necessary that it be perfectly square, or fit a pillow form exactly.

I cut a portion of tanned deer hide for the reverse side...

...matching the shape and size of the front when cutting.

I machine stitched around the edges (using a leather needle)...

...and left an open area for stuffing.

I packed it firmly with roving...

...then discovered that I had a bit of a problem!

None of my sharp, small hand-sewing needles would pierce the leather...

...and I didn't know how I was going to sew the opening shut!

Luckily, I had bought a leather punch tool some months ago...

...and I was able to punch holes along the edge and pull my thread through those.

I was surprised by how much I enjoyed the process involved in this project...

...and am curious about how my other fleeces will felt, too!








Posted by Picasa

11 comments:

Patty Biermans said...

I love it! You had a lot of work with it but ..... Great job!!!
Greetings.Peebee

vilterietje said...

Your husband must be thrilled with the result! Love, Riet

Jackie said...

Will it felt flat after a few sittings on?

Heather Woollove said...

I'm not sure, Jackie.
Right now, the tufts are pretty turgid. (I know how much you love innuendo!) :)
I invite readers who know the answer to this question to please weigh in! Thanks!

Kim van Waardenburg said...

Looks great Heather!
If the fluffy hairs are getting flat try carding them with your fingers:) I have made samplers with raw fleece some of the locks I carded with a brooken feltignneedle and the locks became sooo soft. I advise you to try it out first on a small part:) or better make a sampler.

Jeanette Nord said...

I love it Heather! SO beautiful! Now I know what my next project will be.....

Jeanette

Heather Woollove said...

Kim--thanks for the tips.

Jeanette--I can't wait to see what you come up with!!

Anonymous said...

That looks wonderfully soft and fluffy. I would say your little experiment was a 100% success. :)

Anonymous said...

My all time favourite piece of yours Heather but of course it is made with my favourite fleece from Rhinebeck!!! X

Licho_Nie_Spi said...

Your pillows are very creative, but this one is my most favourite! :)

Heather Woollove said...

Thanks Licho_Nie_Spi! I've just checked out your blog and you do AMAZING work!!